This past week I visited CHOC Hospital to see an athlete I work with named Trent; he was diagnosed a week ago with AcuteLymphoblastic Leukemia. Trent is just 17 years old and his life will
forever be changed. The crazy thing about my visit is that I really don't know Trent;
my interaction with him has been during group training sessions with over 30
kids. My decision to go was based on hearing a church sermon that encourages one
to be open to being an answer to someone’s prayers.
Needless to say, I
went to visit Trent expecting God to use me to be a blessing but as usual, God
had a different plan. It was humbling/amazing to go into a situation not
really sure of what to expect and have God completely take over. The
words that came out of my mouth were not my own words but they reflected the
hope that I have come to know through faith in Jesus Christ.
During my visit with
Trent and his family, there were laughs, some tears, and prayers to God. I
found myself feeling overwhelmingly blessed by the time we spent
together. The words that were shared seemed to bring a sense of peace and
comfort over the room. You could feel
the presences of the Holy Spirit.
I mean, in a life-threatening
situation like this, they recognized that there is definitely hope in
the power of God. Looking at Trent, I realized that there were no words
that could change his circumstance, however; there are words that could help
change how he views his circumstance. It's simply this. God uses challenge
and adversity to make Himself known to us. It is God's desire for us to know
him as a real and living God.
Our natural
response when things happen, how do I fix it? I have learned that our nature to
control our circumstances can blind us from realizing the power of God.
The sooner we can let go and surrender our circumstances to God, the
sooner we can begin to see God's mighty hand at work. Trent and his family are
not sure of what the final outcome will be but as a family they have declared this.
They will respond in faith that God is with them and is working on their
behalf.
They know without a doubt that God will use this situation to be a
blessing to their family and to those around them. Through this
challenge, they will stand together and reflect the hope that comes from
knowing Jesus Christ. Through this challenge, Trent chooses to live in Christ's promise of hope for his life.
Not just for healing but for an opportunity to be used to glorify God and
perhaps be an answer to someone else’s prayer.
May God continue to give them peace and courage as they walk this journey together as a family.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment